How to Prep for Your Engagement Session
January 7th, 2023
You are probably wondering what this blog will consist of, and let me tell you, I have all kinds of great tips to better prepare you and your FIANCE for your upcoming engagement session! So, get ready, because I am aiming to make this blog as informative as possible!
Don't worry, I am here to help you every step of the way!
First things first....
Don't be nervous! I know, it's easier said than done, but it's totally normal to be nervous! We ALL get nervous before a photoshoot. Even myself, and I am regularly in front of the camera! Sometimes I even freeze up and I pose clients professionally!! Your engagement photos are a fun way of getting to know me and seeing how I work behind the camera. I will learn which poses are most fitting for you as a couple and this will make you feel more confident going into your wedding day! Don't worry, you will feel like pros by the time the big day comes along!
I would suggest booking your engagement session no more than 6 months away from your wedding date. That way you have time to send out your save the dates and avoid any additional stress when it comes to planning. I prefer to shoot on the weekends in the late afternoon or early evenings depending on the season. As you plan for your engagement session, think of a location that you may enjoy or means something to the both of you. If you can't think of a spot, just let me know and I can help!
Fun Tip: The more light, the better!
Helpful Tips & Tricks:
- I suggest grabbing some dinner beforehand along with a beverage you enjoy to help ease the nerves. It makes the session more fun while getting a date night out of it!
- Get creative with your outfits! Don't be afraid to be bold & fun! Some colors that look great together are reds & greens, pinks & blues, white & pastels or even burnt orange & tans! Try to focus on coordinating and NOT matching. A lot of times when a couple isn’t sure about how to coordinate, the guy ends up wearing a white shirt! I encourage you to only have the guy wear a white shirt if that is exactly what you want & not because you’re afraid of having him wear a different color than you!
- If you plan on doing an outfit change, I suggest one dressier outfit and one more casual. Lets start with the dressier outfit first! I only say this because as the session goes on, you will become more comfortable and then we can finish out the session in your comfiest outfit! Bonus Tip: If you are uncomfortable in your outfit, you are going to be able to tell in the photos!
- Think of what season your session is taking place in and which colors go with that season. I am here to help if you need it!
- Be on time so we get the most out of your session! If you don’t allow for traffic or small hold-ups that could arise, you could easily be 20-30 minutes late for your shoot. I have no problem extending our time together but the issue is that the sun light will be gone and once the light is gone, there isn’t anything I can do! I have timed your shoot for the BEST time of the day with the most amazing light so be sure to keep an eye on the clock so that you don’t run out of natural light!
- Clean your ring! If you anything like me, I never take my ring off. It gets dirty so fast! Taking it to your jeweler or purchasing a ring cleaner will work wonders. Lets bring out that SHINE!
- Fellas, empty your pockets. Nothing is more distracting that a cellphone and keys in your pockets. I can hold onto them for the session if needed!
- If you love getting your hair & make-up done, this would be a great time for it!! Most couples invest a lot into this experience and so I always encourage my couples to make sure that they feel their absolute BEST for their engagement session. If you don’t love doing your own hair and makeup, this may be the perfect opportunity to give professional hair and makeup a shot!
- Last but not least, RELAX! Take a deep breath and enjoy it. It is going to be so fun!
Engagement Session Start Times...
Start times depend upon the season that we are shooting in! I will let you know the exact start time, but see below to get an general idea of when I like to photograph. This is typically because lighting is best at these times and reflect how my images turn out!
SPRING: April - May ~ 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
SUMMER: June - August ~ 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
FALL: September - October ~ 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
WINTER: December - March ~ 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.